Monday, August 3, 2009

Beyonce – Encore Theater, Las Vegas 7/31/09

I am beyond amped to see this performance tonite. I know there are a lot of haters out there and what is the quote – "As always I wanna Thank the Haters, they give me a reason to do it." LOL. Something like that!

Lot’s of Champagne in anticipation of this evening!!!

We take our seats at 5mins to 8p (show starts 8p), we are in the balcony 3rd row on the aisle (so I can get up and dance of course!). I am more than pleased with the location of the seats and the intimacy of this 1500 seat theatre. I am sipping my bubbly and pondering what will she open with, will she sing all mellow songs to be more “Vegas” like?

AND HERE IT COMES. . . .The ALL female band starts to break out into a beat – the crowd is cheering and then all of sudden it gets louder – where is Bey? Oh she is rolling down the steps from the back of the theatre, shaking hands and singing directly to people as she saunters through . . .”Hello, Hello, you had me at hello”. . . not a favorite song of mine but it has just moved up on my list. . .what a lovely way to start the show.

She is a vision. Stunning in her Thierry Mugler white and silver sleeveless top with grey leggings and beautiful sparkling Christian Louboutin sling backs.

She greeted everyone by saying after playing big arenas she is so happy to be there and actually “see their face”. Very cute. She then performed “Halo”, much of the crowd sang along – she transitioned into, “to the left to the left” the crowd loved it (Irreplaceable is a pleaser for sure).

Next an acoustic version of “Sweet Dreams” which was gorgeous, she remixed into Anita Bakers “Sweet Love” she really got aggressive here, killed it with grit and passion. (note to anyone reading – I LOVE LOVE when any artist remixes other artists into their music, I suppose who doesn’t, it really does show their range as a musician).

“If I were a Boy” was next remixed with Alanis Morrisette’s “You Oughta Know” are you kidding me – she was so fierce in this moment. . . she received a standing ovation – it was an amazing sample. AMAZING. (at not at all something I would have put together, so well choreographed!)

There was a brief intermission of dancers and when Beyonce came back on the stage she was still in the leggings (though it was actually a beautiful one piece cat like suit) and a long flowing cape with large jeweled shoulders. The back drop of the stage also changed with a sparkling wall of crystals while she performed “That’s Why Your Beautiful” that she mixed with Prince’s “The Beautiful Ones” “. . . baby baby baby, do you want me, or do you want HER – cuz I want youuuu” she was on her knees begging and squealing. OMG.

She performed a few other songs – attributing other artist for being her inspiration, Aretha Franklin, Ella Fitzgerald, Josephine Baker. She did some Vegas style scatting and performed “Déjà vu”.

After another brief intermission, while dancers (2 male 1 female) but on an awesome tap dance performance - Beyonce re-emerged in a figure-flattering black swimsuit-style outfit with a plunging V-neckline and matching black heels. WOWZA!


“Michael Jackson was a huge inspiration to me” she stated then launched into MJ’s “Where You Are”. She did a complete timeline of her music over the years, may seem odd given she isnt that old (28 in a month), but since she has been on the stage since she was 9, she actually has covered a lot of ground. She did a whole life montage: discussing her Father, the music label Electra & Columbia records – this was so well choreographed and vegas like. . . she tranistioned into “No No NO” “Bugaboo” Bills Bills Bills” “Say My Name” “Jumpin Jumpin” “Independent Women” “Bootylicious” “ Survivor” “Work it Out” and in one of my favorite moments said “and then I found love” and performed “Crazy in Love” (so sweet). “Get Me Bodied” followed, one of my all time favorite tracks that has never gotten as much play as all the others. She boogied and danced and shook -really living up this fast pace closer.

Most all of the audience were on their feet, all but the older couples who as I understood were considered “high-rollers” and comp’d free tickets – though clearly they knew nothing of her music. (read older stiff males & their wives)

She closed with Single Ladies a fun and festive performance!
I have to say, she impressed me even more than I could have thought. It was and remains one of the best shows I have seen. Glam and beautiful – she is delightful to watch. A performer in every sense of the word!

Thank you Beyonce Giselle Knowles for giving us the amazing intimacy - we HOPE you continue to do shows like this in the future.

1 comment:

  1. yassss sounds good i love beyonceee wish i could have wentt i seen her noraml tour tho

    ReplyDelete