Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Erykah Badu @ Warfield SF


I have been waiting for a while to see Erykah. She was in Oakland a few months back - unfortunately I missed the show. Needless to say I was amped up for this nite.

I ventured first to SupperClub http://www.supperclub.com/, where my girl Eva works. If you have never been, it’s definitely a fun nite out! DJ B Smiley burned me a CD while I waited, so sweet. The Goddess Alchemy Project, HOT! They are Oakland girls. Check it: http://www.goddessalchemyproject.com/. It’s currently in my car and I have had it on nonstop!
Now – let’s focus on the Queen.
The crowd was very eclectic, I liked it. Ladies dressing up and fellows flowing their style. SF seriously needs to do a better job of what GOING OUT means, very happy to see the mix and the style.

We waited about an hour for the show to start (and we were about 45mins late). So Ms. Badu came on about 1.5 – 2hrs late. . . of course she did! I wouldn’t expect anything less.

When the band started playing they rocked out a soulful intro, only to send it all the way over to the other side with Lil Wayne’s “A Milli”. The crowd was pumped.
Out she came – The Queen - draped in a purple and gold robe, a gold head piece and some insane shades, I cant even describe it – she was so regal, so shiny the camera couldn’t even get a picture of her – just her glow.

She performed so many of her songs, I cant even begin to list them all. And in typical Erykah style she linked and mixed in On & On and the Ode to Hip Hop, Love of my Life, through out the set.

She was channeling a Josephine Baker’s style and presence through out most of the show, with head pieces and flowy dress. She twirled like a ballerina, quite beautiful and simple. She performed not only her own music but she RAPPED! She did Whodini’s “Friends”, and an Ice Cube rap. The crowd was singing along and loving her. She is so diverse in her music abilities and her delivery – you can literally just stare at her for hours. She is far more amazing live than you can imagine, I have seen her 4x now – I hope for many, many more!

She came out for her encore and she performed Green Eyes – one of my all time favorites. “My eyes are green Cause I eat a lot of vegetables, It don't have nothing to do with your new friend”. She rapped Nat Dogg’s “It Ain’t No Fun” totally insane! And she of course closed with Bag Lady:

Bag lady you gonna hurt your back
Dragging all them bags like that
I guess nobody ever told you
All you must hold on to - Is you, is you, is you

Girl I know sometimes it's hard
And we can't let go Oh when - someone hurts you oh so bad inside

Next stop on my tour. . . BEYONCE! VEGAS BABY!

No comments:

Post a Comment