Thursday, June 9, 2011

Bonnaroo OR Bust!

The Road To Bonnaroo: Karen Elson Bonnaroo, one of the summer’s hottest music festivals (literally), takes place this weekend in Manchester, Tennessee. Year after year, the fest hosts some of the best artists around, everyone from Lil’ Wayne and Eminem to Florence + the Machine to The Strokes (and that’s just this year).


Karen Elson plays her first-ever Bonnaroo appearance this year, but she’s no stranger to the fest—so she knows firsthand what to expect. “You either rock the sweaty look or you try your very hardest to look like it’s not sweltering outside,” the model-turned-musician says. “I am not going to accept the sweaty look, so I am doing everything in my power to be the opposite.”


Since the release of her debut album, The Ghost Who Walks, in 2010, Elson has been performing in Southern Gothic-style frocks (often sourced from her own Nashville vintage shop, Venus & Mars.) “I am still trying to figure out my stage style,” she says, citing the Coen brothers’ films as a current source of inspiration. “I was always wearing long things last year. As I’ve kept performing, I have realized it’s really important to have a look.” Here’s what Elson will be bringing to Tennessee to make hers one to remember:


A custom, vintage dress by Anna Sui. “I almost always wear vintage Anna Sui to perform in. I just saw her last night and she gave me a couple of beautiful dresses to potentially wear. Or, there might be a little romper in the works.”


Nine West boots from her capsule collection for the brand. “I usually wear my custom Tabitha Simmons heels. Wearing a pair of beautiful high heels in a club is relatively pain-free, but it’s Bonnaroo and it’s muddy, so I am thinking boots.” (Above: In the Dirt boots from Elson’s collection for Nine West, in stores this August.)


Vintage sunglasses from Fabulous Fanny’s in New York City. “I lost my favorite Marc Jacobs tortoiseshell glasses! I shouldn’t be allowed to buy anything expensive because I lose or break them. I have to buy the cheap ones.” (Above: Vintage Norma Kamali sunglasses from Fabulous Fanny’s. For more information, visit www.fabulousfannys.com.)


Clinique Pore Refiner. “It’s my current obsession. It’s so smooth and I am really going to need it for the festival.” (Above: Clinique Pore Refining Solutions Instant Perfector, $18, available at www.sephora.com.)


Nars Highlighting Blush Powder. “I actually had dinner with François Nars last night. I just love his highlighter—the light one.” (Above: NARS Highlighting Blush Powder, $27, available at www.narscosmetics.com.)


No comments:

Post a Comment