Friday, May 29, 2009

Ben Harper & The Relentless 7

Let me first preface this with I love Ben Harper – like die hard, obsessed, will listen to him over and over and over, own ALL his music kind of love. He truly can do no wrong.

Side note: If you have never been to the Fillmore theatre in SF, it is such a great old venue. It has been the hub for the music scene in SF: Led Zeppelin, The Grateful Dead, The Who, Cream, Jimi Hendrix Experience, Pink Floyd, The Doors, Creedence Clearwater Revival – just to name a few. It is old and dirty and loud, quite fantastic really.

I knew from the CD that the band, Relentless 7, is a harder rock sound. I was impressed as they came out on stage by their youth – Ben has been in this game for over 15years.
I watched as the crowd greeted him with a very loud and very long applause, he was so moved by the welcome – I wanted to shout WELCOME HOME BEN! But I didn’t.

Never Trust a Woman Who Loves the blues – could be one of the hottest songs. It has what sounds to be the bass line from the Rolling Stones, Miss you. . . loves it. The guitarist Jason really funked it up with an ending that made me feel like Prince could have been on the stage – I know that is a big comparison but it took me there. (i believe Prince is one of the greatest guitarist ever)
The live version of Fly One Time, made me feel like I was back in the 70s. From the sound of the jam to the lyrics. . .sometimes I think I was meant to be alive back then.
They rocked this song and Ben wailed it out vocally – the electric guitar and his slide guitar. It was heaven in the room.


Keep It Together (So I Can Fall Apart) um the title speaks pretty loud. . . he let out a tribal like yodel during this song – there really are no words!
He went on to play most of the new album. I take a break here to just tell you – if you have never seen Ben Harper live. . . you Must!


The cover of David Bowie’s Under Pressure was seriously ridiculous. He played one of my favorite songs ever - Another Lonely Day – I sang along, sorry to everyone around me but I had to let it out. ‘Cuz’ I’ve been with witches and I have been with a queen’ what is better than that line?

A DOUBLE ENCORE! The crowd literally ate him up. And oddly enough, I think he would have played all nite. This man is full of spirit and passion - he truly loves what he does.
He closed with Faithfully Remain. . .
I learned to say goodbye
to say goodbye to young.
I learned to duck from
words
like bullets from a gun.
How long can you pray?
How long can
you pray
and still not see a change?
I faithfully remain. I faithfully
remain.

No comments:

Post a Comment